Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Maintaining an Academic Profile

In a follow-up to my previous post about my move into an alternative academic job and my desire to maintain an academic profile in case I wanted to come back to it, I thought a little harder about what I was going to do in order to achieve that.

My job will be contracted for 15-months, and I have identified three areas I want to focus on before I start in September and beyond when I have time away from my job. These are [ranked by priority and practicality:

  1. Keep writing! I want to turn my thesis into a book and will focus on writing and sending out book proposals. I am also working on a collaborative translation of the medieval text which I have been working on for the past 4 years. I also want to try to publish 1-2 articles which don't stem directly from my thesis.
  2. Conferencing! I'm going to try to continue attending seminars around Oxford, but will also try to attend a couple of academic conferences, and hopefully present for at least one of them.
  3. Teaching! Admittedly, this may be the toughest one to achieve as it relies on flexibility within my day job. However, to take on even one tutorial student a term would be enough to maintain a scholarly presence within my university.
That's the plan! Wish me luck!
Even if I achieve just 50% of what I would like to, I would be very pleased!

[and now for the obligatory infogram! I'm sure they are not in vogue anymore and I'm well behind the curve on new design fads, but forgive me - I've been bunkered in a library for the past 4 years!!]


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please add your comments below. Comments are moderated for spam and offensive language.